Swimmer’s ear, also known as the external otitis is a bacterial infection that occurs on the outer eat canal. It usually occurs due to excessive water trapped in your ears and can be both acute and chronic.
As it sounds, swimmers are most commonly affected by this disease and as a matter of fact, it’s actually painful. Swimmer’s eat also gives a feeling of fullness and severe itching in the ear.
You’ll also feel as if there’s something in your ear when you walk, hop or jog. This can affect your daily life activities, as you are unable to fully focus.
- Too much moisture stuck in the ear canal.
- Using ear plugs, headphones or any other device in excess also leads to the infection.
- Using hair dyes, hair spray, etc. often causes it.
- Inserting cotton swabs or pointed object may also cause swimmer’s ear.
Though it’s better to see your doctor first and if he says okay to try some home treatments, then here are 11 of them that are safe and effective at the same time.
Home Remedies For Swimmer’s Eat
1. White Vinegar
This is probably the best home remedy for swimmer’s ear that works every time. You can easily buy white vinegar from the market. White vinegar is very effective in treating the pain and itching caused by the infection.
- Pour a few drop of white vinegar in water.
- Mix it.
- Now, put this solution in the infected ear using a dropper.
- Just put 3-5 drops only and let it sit there for a couple of minute before you can change your side.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used by even the professional swimmers to get rid of the swimmer’s ear infection.
- Take hydrogen peroxide and fill it in a dropper.
- Now, pour 5 drops of it in the infected area.
- Allow it to settle there for a few minutes.
- Drain out by tilting the head downwards.
You will need rubbing alcohol for this remedy and a dropper. Important to note that it might feel a bit pinchy when it goes inside the ear.
- Fill the dropper with rubbing alcohol.
- Pour a few drops in the infected ear.
- Move your head around to distribute it evenly.
- Allow it to site for a couple of minutes.
- Tilt your head to drop it out.
4. Mineral Oil
This is an instant soothing remedy that not only relieves the pain but also reduces the growth of bacteria in the ear canal.
- Buy mineral oil from the market.
- Pour a few drops of it in the infected area.
- Let it sit there.
- You can also pour it before going for a swim.