The misalignment of TMJ or temporomandibular joint results in severe headaches, popping in the jaw, pain in the face, neck and shoulders and bothersome clicking. It’s basically the point where your jaws open, close and move sideways and is considered the toughest and biggest bone of your face, supporting the lower teeth.
It is estimated that approximately ten million Americans might be suffering from TMJ disorder or Syndrome and quite often, this condition goes undiagnosed or untreated.
Causes of TMJ
There are several different causes of TMJ like a blow on the jaws due to an accident or a punch in the face. Sometimes an internal trauma such as teeth clenching, grinding or excessive chewing leads to TMJH.
People who suffer from stress and anxiety may also face the TJM syndrome. Depletion of cartilage and no formation of a new one due to osteoarthritis is another major cause of this disorder.
Rheumatoid arthritis, birth defect, spinal alignment issues and nutritional deficiencies often leads to TMJ.
Signs & Symptoms
- Ring pain around the head.
- Stress in the face, head and neck.
- Depression and anxiety.
Home Remedies for TMJ
One of the best and most effective home remedies for TMJ. Though it’s a short term relief from the pain caused by TMJ disorder but it surely works. One of the British studies tells that 85% of the patients with TMJ benefit from Acupuncture treatment. It relieves the muscle spasms, reduces pain and swelling and releases the jaw naturally for the joint to move freely and flexible.
The main acupuncture points that applies the right pressure at TW21, SI 19, GB2 and ST6 on your face. These points start from just above the ear canal and down towards the jaw line.
2: Massage & Applying Cold Packs
Massaging your jack, neck and shoulders with a heating pad or a hot bottle is one of the quickest and long-term remedy for TMJ disorder. You can also apply cold packs directly on your jaw and neck. It reduces the symptoms and provides an instant relief. Simply take a plastic zipper bag, fill it with ice, cover it with a towel and apply on your neck, jaw or shoulders.
3: Jaw Exercises
Do these three jaw exercises and treat the TMJ disorder forever.
- Firstly, open your mouth as wide as you can. Make sure it doesn’t hurt too much. When your mouth is wide open, gradually move the jaw towards right and hold this position for 10 seconds. Now return to middle and move it towards the left and again hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Next, using your right hand’s index finger, trace your jaw hinge towards the right side and gently massage the muscles located in this area in downward action using your index finger. Apply some pressure while you massage. Repeat the same with the left hand on the left side.
- Finally, erect and move your chin up and down gradually for about a minute. After a minute, take a pause and then move the chin in a side to side movements for another minute. Repeat this process twice and don’t stretch too hard.